Khunti district in Jharkhand is plagued by non-functioning schools, inadequate secondary education, unavailability of context-specific and age-appropriate reading material, rampant teacher absenteeism and high drop-out rates for girl students. The Trusts initiated interventions in the region in 2009-2010.
The educational interventions were corralled under the Central India Initiative, as follows:
- Elementary schools: addressed quality issues in schools, through direct implementation of the School and Community-based Quality Improvement Programme (SCQuIP) and Expansion of School and Community-based Quality Improvement Programme.
- Secondary schools: The 'remedial coaching' component of SCQuIP supports high school students in clearing their matriculation exams through academic support.
- Innovation and research: Two programmes were implemented under this component.
- Punararambh (Continuation of Girl Child Education) — which provided academic support to girls who either dropped out late or failed their matriculation exams.
- Quality University Education Programme — provided laboratory facilities, computers and equipment to students, in partnership with the Hazaribag Jesuit Education Society.